Milionerzy (English translation: Millionaires) is a Polish game show based on the original British format of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. The show is hosted by Hubert Urbański. The main goal of the game is to win 1 million PLN by answering 12 multiple-choice questions correctly. There are four lifelines - fifty fifty (pół na pół), ask the audience (pytanie do publiczności), ask the expert (pytanie do eksperta) and switch the question (zmiana pytania). The first series of Milionerzy was broadcast from 3 September 1999 to 26 January 2003, and the second version has been broadcast since 19 January 2008. It is shown every Saturday and Sunday at 6 PM (UTC+1) on the Polish commercial television station TVN. Executive producer of first series was Endemol. Now executive producer of programme is Intergalactic. When a contestant gets the second question correct, he will leave with at least 1,000 PLN. When a contestant gets the seventh question correct, he will leave with at least 40,000 PLN.
Game's prizes Edit
In second version of Milionerzy (today series), there are twelve questions and there were these prizes for questions:
- 1. question • 500 PLN
- 2. question • 1,000 PLN (guaranteed sum)
- 3. question • 2,000 PLN
- 4. question • 5,000 PLN
- 5. question • 10,000 PLN
- 6. question • 20,000 PLN
- 7. question • 40,000 PLN (guaranteed sum)
- 8. question • 75,000 PLN
- 9. question • 125,000 PLN
- 10. question • 250,000 PLN
- 11. question • 500,000 PLN
- 12. question • 1,000,000 PLN
In first version of Milionerzy, there were fifteen questions and there were these prizes for questions:
- 1. question • 100 PLN
- 2. question • 200 PLN
- 3. question • 300 PLN
- 4. question • 500 PLN
- 5. question • 1,000 PLN (guaranteed sum)
- 6. question • 2,000 PLN
- 7. question • 4,000 PLN
- 8. question • 8,000 PLN
- 9. question • 16,000 PLN
- 10. question • 32,000 PLN (guaranteed sum)
- 11. question • 64,000 PLN
- 12. question • 125,000 PLN
- 13. question • 250,000 PLN
- 14. question • 500,000 PLN
- 15. question • 1,000,000 PLN
The highest prizes by episodes Edit
Legend: number of episode • broadcast date; took consideration to prizes of more than 40,000 PLN
|1 • 19 I||2 • 20 I||3 • 26 I||4 • 27 I||5 • 2 II||6 • 3 II||7 • 9 II||8 • 10 II||9 • 16 II||10 • 17 II|
|—||40,000 PLN||—||125,000 PLN||—||40,000 PLN||—||125,000 PLN||—||—|
|11 • 23 II||12 • 24 II||13 • 1 III||14 • 2 III||15 • 8 III||16 • 9 III||17 • 15 III||18 • 16 III||19 • 22 III||20 • 23 III|
|—||75,000 PLN||40,000 PLN||—||40,000 PLN||—||75,000 PLN||40,000 PLN||75,000 zł||— |
|21 • 24 III||22 • 29 III||23 • 30 III||24 • 5 IV||25 • 6 IV||26 • 12 IV||27 • 13 IV||28 • 19 IV||29 • 20 IV||30 • 26 IV|
|40 000 PLN||250 000 zł||—||500 000 PLN||40 000 PLN||—|
Appearance and changes of appearance Edit
From 1999 through 2003 we could see three changes of the studio stage design, some differ in stylistics. From 2008, after resumption we see the fourth different stage design.
The first logo of Milionerzy from 1999 was very different to standard the model used in other editions of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. It was a violet rhombus on one of vertexes and rings stooding on themselves on background of "Milionerzy" caption. The second one, modelled on the traditional style, is round with green question marks. It was introduced with the changes of credits and scenography in 2000. It is used also now, but in another colour scheme (question marks are gold).
The first and second version of the opening credits were similar with people looking and aiming on Milionerzy logo. It was patterned on British credits of this time. From 2008, the opening credits of the programme feature an animation showing in sequence all prizes to one million zlotys - it is patterned on the newest British version.
Except for the opening credits, no big changes were made on graphics and sounds. The new edition has refreshed graphics: the fields with questions and answers are navy-blue and blue (earlier black) and smaller than in first edition of Milionerzy, and the field with won prize is blue (earlier brown and navy-blue). Also some sound effects and music we can hear in the background when player answers a question, changed.
Now Milionerzy is recorded in the TVP studio in Kraków, 44, Nowohucka St. The first edition was recorded in the Warsaw-based WFDiF studio, 21, Chełmcka St. from 1999 until 2001 in the TVP studio on 17, Woronicza St until 2003.
Questions for million zlotys Edit
In Milionerzy, five questions for one million zlotys appeared. Four times the player resigned, and one time (in special edition with participation of children), the player answered the question (incorrectly). Here are the questions:
|What country did Conan the Barbarian come from ?|
|• A: from Rivia||• B: from Mordor|
|• C: from Oz||• D: from Cimmeria|
|As in song by Kabaret Starszych Panów, repellent goon will get a double-barreled shotgun, will go out and...:|
|• A: one-two!||• B: bang, bang!|
|• C: from two pipes||• D: shoot into bottom|
|Comics "child" of drawer Bob Kane is:|
|• A: Superman||• B: Batman|
|• C: Spiderman||• D: Captain America|
|Which of these animals is not a fish:|
|• A: nase||• B: blue bream|
|• C: rudd||• D: European Roller|
|Who is the master of the same arms that Artemis specialises?|
|• A: Zorro||• B: Legolas|
|• C: Don Quixote||• D: Longinus Podbipięta|
Biggest won prizes in Milionerzy Edit
The list is sorted chronologically and only 250 000 PLN prizes and bigger are shown:
|Date of showing||Prize||Player's name|
|5 March 2000||250 000 PLN||Krzysztof Karwowski|
|5 May 2000||250 000 PLN||Jarosław Olejnicki|
|8 October 2000||250 000 PLN||Marek Janowski|
|21 October 2000||500 000 PLN||Władysław Kostrzewski|
|17 February 2001||250 000 PLN||Stanisław Pietrasiewicz|
|28 February 2001||250 000 PLN||Katarzyna Dobras|
|12 March 2001||250 000 PLN||Jerzy Zadrożny|
|21 May 2001||500 000 PLN||Zbigniew Chrzanowski|
|24 September 2001||250 000 PLN||Tomasz Micorek|
|14 October 2001||500 000 PLN||Jerzy Mirski|
|16 December 2001||250 000 PLN||Artur Wiśniewski|
|25 December 2001||250 000 PLN||Edyta Olszówka and Olaf Lubaszenko|
|9 February 2002||250 000 PLN||Szczepan Gardecki|
|23 September 2002||250 000 PLN||Gogoł family|
|25 December 2002||250 000 PLN||Aleksandra Woźniak and Rafał Królikowski|
|29 March 2008||250 000 PLN||Elżbieta Orłowska|
|5 April 2008||500 000 PLN||Paulina Kowalczyk|
|27 April 2008||250 000 PLN||Dorota Kwiecińska|
Records and faux pasEdit
- In Milionerzy, the record was, when, first time in second series, all contestants answered correctly in fastest fingers round at question "Uszereguj miasta Australii w kolejnosci alfabetycznej".
- In Milionerzy, the record was, when player had gone to question for 125,000 PLN without using any lifelines. She won 500,000 PLN.See the Questions for million zlotys and The highest prizes by episodes articles' parts for more informations
- In "Milionerzy" there was three times a situation, when player lose because of laxity said question and then he was restored to play. First player made a mistake in question for 32,000 PLN: "Who invented steam engine?". He answered, that James Watt, but correct answer was Charles Algernon Parsons. After complaint to programme's producer his answer was recognized as correct. Player won guaranteed 32,000 PLN, but he answered incorrectly in the next question for 64,000 PLN. Second player made a mistake in question for 500 PLN: "How many cuts are on kaiser rolls?" He answered: "4" (correct answer was "5") and he won nothing. After recognizing his answer he answered incorrectly in question for 1000 PLN and he left the studio without nothing second time. Third on question about author of picture "The Luncheon on the Grass" answered Claude Monet, but correct answer was Édouard Manet. But Monet also painted a less known picture with the same title, so player was allowed to continue playing.
- In "Milionerzy", three players answered incorrectly in first question. In first edition of "Milionerzy": First player got question "How people in Poland state a person who is calm and shaky?" and he answered "anielska woda" (angelic water) instead of "cicha woda" (still water). In second edition: Player got question "Penitent is a person acceding to..." player answered "judicial process", but correct answer was "confession". Another player got question about breed of Ludwik Dorn's dog. After using all lifelines, he answered French Bulldog - incorrectly. Correct answer was Giant Schnauzer.
- In "Milionerzy", audience let players in mistakes three times. All players let in mistakes trusted the audience and answered incorrectly. Two of them won guaranteed 1000 PLN, and one left the studio with nothing.
- ↑ Winning question: One of the official languages of the United Nations is: A. German; B. Arabic; C. Latin; D. Polish. Correct answer: "B". Question for 250,000 PLN was: Zbigniew Zamachowski plays on a comb melody of the song "To ostatnia niedziela" (This last Sunday) in the film: A. "Zmruż oczy" (Squint your eyes); B. "Pułkownik Kwiatkowski" (Colonel Kwiatkowski); C. "Trzy kolory. Biały" (Three colours. White; D. "Cześć Tereska" (Hi Theresa) and the correct answer was answer "C".
- ↑ A player who had 75,000 PLN decided to answer the next question and chose answer "B" for this 125,000 PLN question: Which of these famous connoisseurs had to say: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"? A. Mark Twain; B. Winston Churchill, C. Sigmund Freud, D. Alfred Hitchcock. Correct answer was "C".
- ↑ Question for 125,000 PLN was: In which voivodeship known from Polish jokes is the town Wąchock? A. in Lower Silesian; B. in Podlachian; C. in Świętokrzyskie; D. in Pomeranian. The correct answer was "C". The player refused to play for 250,000 PLN, which question was: How many cats are on Édouard Manet's painting "Olimpia"? A. zero; B. one; C. two; D. three. Correct answer was "B".
- ↑ A player answered 9 question for 125,000 PLN, having one lifeline fifty fifty (pół na pół) left. After using it on the 250,000 PLN question, she risked and said gave a wrong answer to a question about place of red gape on Palm Cockatoo. After using the lifeline, two answers remained: C. on mirror near the wing and D. on the bottom of the beak.
- ↑ Question for 75,000 PLN: Veduta is a painting showing: A) still life B) view of town C) family portrait D) war scene. Player chose D. answer, but correct answer was B.
- ↑ Player resigned playing in the question for 125,000 PLN, what was:: Who of these persons from cosmetics field was born in Łódź? A. Estee Lauder; B. Helena Rubinstein; C. Max Factor; D. Irena Eris. He intuitally bet on "B" answer, but "C" was correct answer.
- ↑ 5 players played in this episode. Three of them won 1000 PLN, one player left the studio with nothing, and one won fastest fingers round, but the programme ended before he heard the first question.
- ↑ Player had 75,000 PLN and he decided to answer question for 125,000 PLN: What violet color on vestment of ecclesiastic in Roman Catholic Church symbolize? A. atonement; B. happiness; C. royal dignity; D. innocence. After using lifeline 50:50 "A" and "B" answers stayed. Player chosen "B" answer, which was incorrect. Correct answer was "A".
- ↑ Player who had 250,000 PLN said that she want to play for 500,000 PLN. Question for 500,000 PLN: Which of these words isn't anagram of word "skrzynka"? A. zarys; B. krzak; C. kryzys; D. kryza, after using lifelines ask the audience and phone a friend, she resigned from answering. She bet on "A" answer, but "C" was correct answer. Winning question for 250,000 PLN was: If young couple stay under chuppah, what religion do they profess?? A. buddhism; B. judaism; C. islam; D. hinduism. Correct answer was "B".
- ↑ Player while having 500 000 PLN had a question for million zlotys: Who is the master of the same arms that Artemis specialises? A. Zorro B. Legolas C. Don Quixote D. Longinus Podbipięta, and after using ask the audience (46% of votes for correct answer) and fifty fifty ("A" and "B" answers stayed) lifelines, she resigned from answering the question. She intuitively bet on "B", which was correct answer. If she would use fifty fifty, and then ask the audience (where probably would be about 65% of votes for correct answer), she would probably answer correct answer, "B". Many people say, that this player was corrupted player. Winning question for 500 000 PLN: Which of these words are also in singular form? A. name-day (imieniny) B. doors (drzwi) C. thicket (chaszcze) D. shaft (drzewce) Correct answer was "D".
- ↑ onet.pl: Photonews - Million was really near
- ↑ Player while having 250 000 zł decided to play for 500 000 PLN and he chose answer "C" at question for 500 000 PLN: In which of these countries English language isn't a official language? A. in Canada B. in USA C. in RSA D. in Ireland. Correct answer was "B".
- ↑ First version of logo (YouTube)
- ↑ Today's version of logo (YouTube)
- ↑ "Milionerzy", TVN, episode. 7., shown on: 9 February 2008