Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? was the Irish version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. Broadcast on RTÉ One from October 17, 2000 to March 29, 2002.
Fastest Finger First Edit
The 10 contestants are given a question and four answers, and must put those answers in the correct order, within 20 seconds. After the time is up, the computer will then give the correct order, check who got it right, and flash the contestant who got it in the fastest time; that contestant advances to the hot seat.
There were 3 lifelines available to all contestants.
- 50:50: The computer eliminates two incorrect answers, leaving one incorrect answer and the correct answer.
- Phone-A-Friend: The contestant calls one of up to 3 friends, who provided their phone numbers in advance. The contestant has 30 seconds to read the question and answer choices to the friend, who then has the remaining time to offer input.
- Ask the Audience: Audience members use touch pads to designate what they believe the correct answer to be. The audience choosing each specific option is displayed to the contestant.
Money Trees Edit
October 17, 2000 - December 31, 2001:
|Amount Lost for a|
January 2, 2002 - March 29, 2002:
|Amount lost for a|
- In December 2001, Celebrity Special show aired. Ronan Keating, Claudia Carroll, Carrie Crowley, Gerry Ryan, DJ Carey, Sinead O'Connor, Nell McCafferty, Deirdre O'Kane and Packie Bonner and Daniel O'Donnell appeared. Ronan Keating and Claudia Carroll won £16,000, Carrie Crowley and Gerry Ryan won £32,000 and Sinéad O'Connor and Daniel O'Donnell won £32,000 for charities.
- On January 2 and 6, 2002, at 20:30 and 20:00 respectively, two Christmas special shows aired.
£250,000 winners Edit
- Roger Dowds (January 12, 2001)
€250,000 winners Edit
- Noel O'Connor (March 10, 2002)
£125,000 winners Edit
- Patricia Feldwick (December 19, 2000)
- Gary O'Keefe (February 20, 2001)
- Patrick Matthews (February 20, 2001)
- Shane O'Doherty (June 2001)
€125,000 winners Edit
- Robert Scott (2002)
£64,000 winners Edit
£32,000 winners Edit
€32,000 winners Edit
€16,000 winners Edit
- Ronan Keating and Claudia Carroll (December 2001)
€1,000 winners Edit
- Paddy Spooner (March 2002)
£0 winners Edit
- Patrick Hoey (November 28, 2000)
£? winners Edit
€? winners Edit
- Mark O'Loughlin (2002)
- The biggest winning is £250 000, won by Roger Dowds in January 12, 2001 and €250 000 won by Noel O'Connor in March 10, 2002.
- Over a million viewers watched the first Irish edition of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" on RTÉ One on Tuesday night. When Gay Byrne put the first questions to contestant Des O'Connor at 7.30pm, he was being watched by 1,220,000 people all over Ireland - or 73.8% of those watching television at that time. The figures were even higher for the second part of the quiz show, with an average 1,277,000 viewers.
- In 1st season, 70 contestants appeared. Total winnings are £2,350,000.